with additional training designed to provide lean skills and in depth knowledge highly sought after by employers. The certificate is
- interdisciplinary: open to students from non-manufacturing and non-engineering disciplines such as business, health care, and more
- also available to some undergraduates and working professionals
- four required courses, 12 credit hours is all it takes
- based on the real thing: the Toyota Production System (TPS)
- innovative teaching techniques including hands-on real-world experience for students
- highly qualified instructors who have both academic and industrial experience
Why get this certificate?
Based on TPS, lean systems is a proven methodology and way of thinking for reducing waste, improving productivity, and increasing the bottom line while maintaining quality and customer satisfaction. It has been found to be effective across many industries, businesses, and organizations. Companies spend a lot of money educating their current employees and place a high premium on new graduates who have already acquired knowledge in the field.
Because this is an academic certification, it’s permanently attached to your transcript, enhancing your marketability for years to come.
The Lean Systems Program at the University of Kentucky began over 20 years ago when the College of Engineering formed a partnership with Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, to teach and research lean systems. This partnership remains active today. As a result our course content is up to date and in line with Toyota, the originator and leading practitioner of Lean Systems. Innovative and engaging teaching techniques, including carefully designed hands-on lab work improve the learning process. In short: the Lean Systems Graduate Certificate provides our students with the best credentials available.
Who should enroll?
For academic students, some of the majors that will benefit include
- engineering – all disciplines
- business, management, economics, marketing, human resources
- health care including nursing, pharmacy, physicians, lab techs
- accounting, finance
- sciences and more
Working professionals can also enroll and those that should consider it include:
- business, management, marketing
- CEOs, CFOs, executives
- team leaders, line workers
- faculty, researchers
- health care professionals
- human resources, accounting, and finance professionals
- other career professionals
To apply for a certificate
- Fill out the application on the Graduate School Admission Page. Be sure to select the Graduate Certificate in Lean.
- Send a letter of intent to the Program Coordinator along with three letters of recommendation.
True Lean™ Learning Pathway – an image that describes in detail the step by step progression in our lean academic program.
Certificate Application Deadlines:
For more information contact:
Dr. M. Abbot Maginnis
Lean Systems Academic Program Coordinator
220 Robotics Bldg. (RMB)
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506